Monday, November 29, 2010

"Peace, Be Still"


            It started to storm yesterday, and the afternoon after service was spent doing winter things we had been putting off:  stacking the last of the wood gathered this blessed autumn, covering it (mostly) to keep it dry, moving things that cannot be frozen into the warm, crowded areas of our home. This morning, the storm continues, with additional snow, and I find myself reflecting on a recent Daily Word about how Jesus calmed the storm with the words, “Peace, Be Still.”  That particular Daily Word talked about how we can seek inner peace when we are faced with our own storms within.
            In my mind, “Peace, Be Still” calms more than my internal storm. It opens me up to the power of knowing that everything is as its supposed to be; that there is Divine Order within the very winds of the storm itself.  For if everything is as its supposed to be, then there is a purpose, a discovery to be made about the storm that occupies my thoughts. I may not like to make the discovery, and probably not the experience of the storm itself, but I know that within it can lie a lesson for me, a way of attuning my everyday existence to the purpose and strength of God within.
            Once I grasp the reality that everything really is as its supposed to be, I relax and let the storm within me subside, while mindfully watching for insight, for purpose. I move into full awareness of my true nature as an expression of Divine Order itself.
            Everything is as its supposed to be.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a lesson in "A Course in Miracles":

    Let all things be exactly as they are.

    1. 1 Let me not be Your critic, Lord, today, and judge against You. 2 Let me not attempt to interfere with Your creation, and distort it into sickly forms. 3 Let me be willing to withdraw my wishes from its unity, and thus to let it be as You created it. 4 For thus will I be able, too, to recognize my Self as You created me. 5 In Love was I created, and in Love will I remain forever. 6 What can frighten me, when I let all things be exactly as they are?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the feeling of those statements, Allen. Are they grouped all together like that, or are they chapter headings of some kind? Those of us not familiar with ACIM might like to have references...

    A lot of times we say, "It is what it is," and that can be a great help for people struggling with something. Allows them to accept and go beyond in peace...to change their own view of the situation into something that shapes their world in a more positive manner.

    ReplyDelete